Monday, May 19, 2008

AY-UP lighting...


I used some AY-UP Luxeon lights for the first time at the world 24 hour in California last year. They were really light weight, with a simple robust design and a perfect bar mounted light. That was then....they've got better...

I'm fortunate enough to have the newest high power version which I've been running on my helmet since April. Andrew from AY-UP tells me that the new switchable battery (making lights capable of 4-40 hours burntime!!) will have this high power capacity. I ran HID lights as soon as they were available because they provided superior lighting to everything else on the market at the time but they have traditionally been heavy. The latest AY-UP LED's (CREE Q5's) provide a broad centre brightness without the washout that sometimes happened with HID's. At a third of the weight & price for the same burntime, it's an easy choice.

We are fortunate to have this innovative company in Brisbane leading the way in lighting systems for mountain biking and road cycling internationally. AY-UP have been supporting races locally & abroad allowing riders to borrow sets of lights for events. They will also be at the 24 hour world's in Canada and I look forward to being part of the team showcasing this brilliant Australian product.

click here for an interview with Andrew from AY-UP

AY-UP at sea otter....

No comments: